Posted On: November 14, 2016
Tar Heel Poll Notes
• North Carolina moved into the top five of the Associated Press poll while staying at No. 6 in the coaches rankings this week. The Tar Heels moved up one spot from No. 6 to No. 5 in the AP poll while holding steady at No. 6 in the USA Today Coaches' poll.
• Carolina won a pair of games last week to start the 2016-17 season: a 95-75 win at Tulane on Friday in New Orleans and a 97-57 home victory over 2016 NCAA Tournament team Chattanooga on Sunday afternoon.
• UNC has been in the top 10 of both polls for both weeks during the 2016-17 season.
• The Tar Heels began the 2016-17 season at No. 6 in both polls, starting the season in the AP top 10 for the 11th time in 14 seasons under head coach Roy Williams.
• Carolina finished the 2015-16 season at No. 2 in the coaches poll and No. 3 in the AP rankings.
• This week, the Tar Heels will host Long Beach State on Tuesday night, then play at Hawaii late on Friday night.
ACC Teams in the Poll
• There are five Atlantic Coast Conference teams ranked in this week's AP poll, including No. 1 Duke, No. 5 Carolina, No. 8 Virginia, No. 12 Louisville and No. 18 Syracuse.
Carolina's Poll History
• Carolina has been ranked in 860 AP polls, more than any school in the nation.
• The Tar Heels have been ranked in the AP Top 10 646 times, most in ACC history and second-most all-time behind Kentucky.
• The Tar Heels have achieved a Top 10 ranking in the AP poll in 54 of the poll's 68 seasons, including 48 of the last 51.
• Carolina has finished in the AP Top 10 35 times, including 24 of the last 36 years.